Tuesday 27 September 2016

Kusadasi (Turkey)

Kusadasi
Ephesus day! Oh joy ….. we have been there before on the last time OE however wanted to go again cause there is lots you don’t remember. In case you aren't aware it is a major roman (in Turkey) ruin of a coastal city which has been excavated.  They have up-graded the entrance, the walk-ways are now paved with marble stones for ease of walking (tho slippery when wet). A lot of the ruins are now roped off (last time there were not many roped off areas and all these ancient ruins were getting walked over and stood on). I think the first time was better because of the ‘wow’ factor, yet this time was taking in more information about the ruins.




 I know the pictures make out it was a searing hot day, but it wasn't. It was about 25C and quite pleasant.
After Ephesus we went to a new place established by the Turkish Govt about 2 years ago as a promotion for the history of the area. They put on a Roman skit with Cleopatra, Mark Antony, roman warriors etc. Quite cheesy and weird that it was Roman culture pushed by Turkish Govt. but .....



We secretly left our tour when they were going to a carpet place in the town (last time I was accosted by these ferocious salesmen who chased me down to the bus with me yelling out no! no! all the way). However we did go into the ‘Grand Bazaar’ of Kusadasi and found a lovely leather place and straight away told the man ‘don’t hassle me or I will walk out!” so they kind of left me alone. In fact they were so nice that after trying on 10 jackets, drunk their apple tea, Dave had a Turkish coffee, we walked out with 2 leather jackets and the wallet rather a lot lighter! Some definite bargaining going on, but it is hard to tell if it is a bargain or not. They shortened the sleeves while we waited (more Turkish beer and wine handed out) and voila! Dave was determined not to buy one but there was one that looked so different and good on him that he didn’t have a choice with me on the salesmen’s side (and yes there was 2 or 3 of them! A family I think).
After that Dave was nose to nose yelling at a shoe seller bargaining over a pair of leather shoes for me! Seriously haggling over one or two dollars! I thought they would come to blows …. But no a hand-shake, etc later all smiles. God it is bloody hard work these Turks!
It is always nice to come back to a swim, spa and cocktail at the pool. This is the life!

Show last night was the Paul and John show – beatles tribute – two brothers dressed up like them and god they were good! Most of the audience probably danced to their tunes in Liverpool in the 60’s so they sang along just like the mission concert! Even Dave knew a few words (Julie if you are reading this  - I thought of you when ‘Yellow Submarine’ came on!)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a 'ball' onboard. I would have loved the Beatles show. Oh yes...the Yellow Submarine...that song I will never forget!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete