Sunday 20 May 2012

Vienna! oh wow!

We arrived in Vienna late at night and opened up the windows (not literally!) and the first thing i saw was this beaufiful old church that everyone tells me is modern??? what? cant figure it out - anyway it was right on the Danube. I would like to say - I LOVE VIENNA! right up there with Berlin. everywhere you look beautiful old houses, churches, opera house, museums etc and many momuments in the middle of roads and parks. We had a morning tour around the old sights in the bus with commentry (lots of ohhh -- ahhh ---wow!) from moi. then we walked around the old part within the ring road (no cars allowed only horse carriages).
amazing history and then suddenly .... white Lippizaner horses clip clopping through this courtyard we were walking through. Everyone races over, takes lots of snaps and then gone! where were we? app. right at the side of the Spanish Riding School, and they were on their way to a practice! I was over the top with excitement.
The rest of the tour was a blur - (more old stuff) and we ended up at the ancient St Stephens church in the heart of the old part. We spent the afternoon - guess where???? no not a bar - wrong! - an art gallery (Albertino) to peruse Monet and Picasso exibition. Dave too - looked suitably serious and contemplating as we went around. then onto the Klimt exhibition (google ' The Kiss' you non arty people!) sketches mainly. Felt like I was really doing what you should do in Vienna!
After that we went up the Church bell tower of St Stephens - mainly for the view of the city - (100 metres - a guess) went up by this terribly unsafe jiggling lift with leather lined walls. Well of course you walk out onto wire netting - I took one look below, freaked! and clung onto the inside railing all the way around and up! I decided I am not good at looking down from a height between my feet. Dave's saying, look over there you can see .... and I'm going no.o.o.oh! Needless to say after 5 minutes I was down outa there. so those of you who had a bet of when I would freak out properly first - this was it! In the evening all of the boat (and it's sister Ship) went to this Viennese Classical Evening - this involved dressing up to the nines (not me - didnt have anything for that) and go to this lovely palace, up carpeted stairs with marble arches, frescoes on ceiling, carriage (see photo) in the lobby and into this magestic, elegant ball room! check the photos out! I sat through the hour plus concert just pinching myself that I was really in Vienna, in this kind of room and listening to Mozart, Strauss,(brilliant 10 piece orchestra) opera (soprano and tenor) with the highlight being a ballet with two people to the music of the 'Blue Danube'. who ever choreographed it was extremeley clever, cause it was a little stage, well-known and loved music, and amazing (standing ovation at end of concert!) went back to ship feeling very cultured and satisfied. this is what Vienna should be like.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderfully magical evening.Did you get Dave to give you a twirl around the room? Because I guess that is what you would feel like after a concert like that.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete