Sunday 24 June 2012

Bobby in the Graveyard

I just had to go - sorry I really just had to check it out! I remember the story and movie of Greyfriar's Bobby so clearly, (and crying at the end) that we just had to go and find the graveyard. The first sign we were near it was the statue beside the street then we went into the graveyard, and found the gravestones. A dog lovers society has re-erected the gravestones to 'Jock' the owner who's grave Bobby devotedly sat beside for 14 years, and the gravestone of the rector of the church who looked after Bobby after Jock died. There are lots of flowers at the gravesides too. Lovely eh? All go 'Awwwww' for me.


Then as we were leaving, a tourist group and guide from "the grisly sights of Edinburgh Tour"- I kid you not! - came into the graveyard and all stood around a strange grave. So me being the nosey me I am , I sidled over and listened as to why this grave was so interesting.
App. in the old days (about 1600) when the body snatchers were lurking and digging up bodies to take to Edinburgh med. school for dissection, the people who were dying made sure their bodies couldn't be dug up. They instructed their relatives to put big bars and planks over their graves!
Hence  ......


PS - on the way back up the street, Dave spied the cafe where JK Rowling sat as a poor destitute mum and starting writing her Harry Potter series. He had to take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment