Wednesday 6 June 2012

Eiffel Tower

Today was a new day in gay Paree! Just thought I'd mention that while we were waiting for the bus this morning - a van crashed into a motorbike and sent the guy flying right in front of us! Remember I'd mentioned about the crazy driving - well wasn't surprised at this. the scooters and motorbikes sneak in front of cars, across lanes. Anyway the guy got up, had a big argument with the van driver, police arrived, more hand waving and finger pointing and then an ambulance arrived. Quite an exciting way to start the day. Got on the bus and hit the Eiffel tower! we got off close by and strolled through a park, over the bridge and followed the crowds once again! the queues to go up the lift was 3 hours long, (there is only one lift operating and you cant get fast passes until its fixed) snaking all over the place, so we decided to climb. yes you heard it right, Brenda climbed. It only took 20 min in the climbing queue, so no decision really needed. The approx. 400 steps from yesterday's tower climb was just a warm up! Dave counted 328 to first level then 360 to level 2. I wasn't counting, I was too busy huffing and puffing! I went slow, lots of rests, and didnt look down so I was good. At the first level we spent some time looking around and taking photos and giving me a rest. I was ok with the height, and spent time reading all about how they made the thing. Then it was up and up and up again - the worst part was school groups of a variety of ages were once again invading the place and they were tearing up the stairs in a run! I just let them go. Dave was very patient and just followed me. On to the 2nd level and then I felt a bit funny looking out! Didnt quite look straight down, but stood back a bit and I was fine. You can take a lift up to the top from there - no way for me but was sad Dave didnt go. We didnt get tickets for it and you couldnt buy them from up there. Anyway had a look round up there and took the stairs back down to first level and had a bite to eat in the middle of it. Felt quite weird! Then climbed back on down. Have a look at the views - they were quite amazing and panoramic! Well worth the effort and energy. After that was a lovely restful boat trip along the Sienne with hundreds of others but everyone sat and listened to the commentry so was enjoyable. Am now officially tired and need a nana nap! Dave wants to watch the French Open on TV. No english channels at all on the TV.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pleased to hear that there will be plenty of walking, then I won't feel so bad about the drinking and eating!! I hope you have had some champagne while in Paris. It MUST be cheaper than here!! Paree...champagne...romance....?
    Julie

    ReplyDelete